Highly skilled leader with over fifteen years of strong executive management and consulting experience in a user-centered design environment. Developed usability practice for Westlaw.com, the premier legal research product on the market. Directed information architecture for the large-scale financial services website of Wachovia.com. Built and led operations department for information architecture consulting firm providing services to Fortune 500 clients. Excellent public speaker with workshop and conference experience.
User Experience ConsultantSeptember 2007–present
SiftUX (formerly BaileySorts)
- Leveraging over 15 years of user-centered design experience, I provide a continuum of consulting services that range from coaching to full-service design work.
- My approach is practical, collaborative and solution driven.
- Provide a full suite of services including heuristic evaluation, user research and discovery, information architecture, interaction design, content strategy (including localization), and usability testing.
- Clients include: Intuit, Eaton Corporation, Summa Health System, SummaCare, the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and University of Michigan Sea Grant.
Adjunct ProfessorJanuary 2008–present
- Teach graduate level courses (User & Task Analysis, Advanced Information Architecture) in the Information Architecture and Knowledge Management program.
- Both courses culminate in projects that help students both master process and develop artifacts for their portfolios.
- Courses cover applying UX principles in a variety of development environments, including Agile.
- Teaching experience includes face to face and asynchronous online course development.
Director of UsabilityJanuary 2005–July 2007
- Led user interface design and usability efforts for Westlaw.com, premiere legal research tool relied upon by legal professionals including the US Supreme Court.
- Partnered with corporate marketing, creative services, application technology development and business unit leads to solve web design challenges in a complex decentralized environment.
- Directed usability team in operations and professional development.
- Initiated partnerships with external vendors.
- Introduced usability methodologies including heuristic evaluation, cognitive walkthroughs, rapid iterative testing and design, and formal usability testing.
- Supervised quantitative eye tracking study for a Westlaw information product that led to design improvements generating a 10% increase in revenue for the product.
Vice President, Information ArchitectureJuly 2001–December 2004
- Responsible for the new information architecture of the combined First Union and Wachovia websites following the merger between the two banks. The retail portion of the new site served over 4 million online banking customers.
- Introduced a formal user-centered design methodology into the organization. Partnered with corporate clients and internal web development, extracting and interpreting requirements and uniting internal business goals with external customer needs.
- Supervised team of 9 permanent and contract employees in multi-disciplinary web design environment.
- Prototyped designs in paper, HTML and with the iRise Application Simulator.
- Brochureware component of site delivered via a customized Vignette Story Server content management system (CMS).
Vice President, Consulting Operations1999–2001
Argus Associates, Inc.
- Balanced consulting engagements and executive management in rapidly growing startup.
- Shaped the ongoing evolution of an industry-leading methodology and process featured in the best-selling book Information Architecture for the World Wide Web (O'Reilly, 1998, 2002, 2006)
- Responsible for hiring, training, management, allocation, professional development, and staff evaluation for department of 21 consultants, with excellent retention rate.
- Participated in information architecture consulting projects from business development through completion for clients including Microsoft, Vanguard, Proctor & Gamble and Johnson & Johnson.
- Developed proposals (scope, schedule, budget) and participated in sales process, including successful proposals in the $500,000-$750,000 range for 3Com, AT&T, and Microsoft.
Director, Consulting Operations1998–1999
Argus Associates, Inc.
- Managed client relationships for diverse group of Fortune 500 clients including Vanguard, Ernst & Young, American Express
- Collaborated with VP to hire, train, manage, lead, and evaluate growing staff of information architects
- Implemented knowledge management and professional development initiatives including bi-weekly discussion of concepts, deliverables and best practices
Information Architect/Project Manager1996–1998
Argus Associates, Inc.
- Provided project management for multidisciplinary team of web designers (graphic design, editorial, information architecture and technical programmers) in collaborative partnership
- Extensive experience designing keyword indexes and controlled vocabularies for fortune 500 websites and intranets
Seasoned conference speaker with over a dozen presentations including 1-hour sessions, half and full-day workshops and 3-day seminars in the US, Canada, and the UK at venues including the ASIST Information Architecture Summit, Internet World, User Interface Engineering, and the American Society of Indexers.
The University of Michigan, School of Information, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Ken Vance Award: full scholarship
Ripon College, Ripon, Wisconsin
- Summa Cum Laude (Valedictorian), Phi Beta Kappa